On Wednesday 21/12/2016, ECU proudly hosted Dr. Hany el Nokrashi, the Presidential Scientists and Experts Consultancy candidate for the Arab Republic of Egypt on Solar and Renewable Energy. Dr. Nokrashi presented a lecture titled: “Egypt’s Futuristic Launch in facing a Holistic Approach to Renewable Energy, Water and Habitat”.
Both Dr. Mohamed Essam Khalifa, acting President of ECU, and Dr. Aly Abdel Razek EL Sharkawi, Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Technology, in addition to a large number of administrative staff, faculty, faculty assistants and most of the enrolled students attended the lecture showing deep interest and enthusiasm in the topics discussed which included: –
- The deep rooted global needs of electrical energy and the decrease in the availability of extracted fuels like Petroleum, Natural Gas and Coal.
- Maximizing usage and benefits from newly utilized renewable energy sources such as solar and wind as sources available throughout the year. In addition to the challenges and constraints caused by the high demand on Petroleum and Electrical energies in Egypt and the increase in the prices of Petroleum Barrel globally and the Government’s subsidization plan.
- A thorough explanation of Solar Energy Stations with thermal storage which allow the storage of Solar Energy in a mixture if salts for usage after sunset which covers the national demand.
- Models of Solar Energy plants used effectively in various countries were also displayed.
- The economic feasibility of Solar Energy usage and its superiority over the use of Petroleum energy economically and environmentally.
Dr. Nokrashi then conducted a question and answers session where he led an extensive explanation on all questions asked by the attendees and the expectations for Egypt in the future. The day was a successful one and Dr. Nokashi was happy with the knowledge he managed to share with ECU students, faculty and staff.